Billede af puslespil
Del på facebook

Other practical matters

Besides from the main official matters (e.g. registration, applying for a cpr-number, tax card etc.) that you find under the different "Checklist", here is a list of the most common practical matters, when moving to Denmark. 

If you have any questions, please contact your Newcomer Guide. 

MitId and Digital Post

MitId is your personal secure login for digital contact with public authorities, netbanking and a wide range of online self service solutions. With MitId you log on via your CPR-number, a personal password, and a code card with printed codes. Your MitId is issued by Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

To learn more about MitId, go to:


Everybody who works in Denmark must have a bank account as your salary will be paid directly into your account. In order to open a bank account you must have a Danish CPR number (See how you apply below). Find the bank that suits you best and ask them which documentation they need to open an account for you.


Apply for a CPR number – Personal registration number

Applying for your Danish CPR number (English: Civil Registration number) takes place at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

In order to be registered, you must show up in person and bring the following documents:

  • EU citizens: Your EU residence document (registration certificate)
  • Non-EU EU/EEA/Nordic-/Swiss-citizen (3rd world countries): Your work- and residence permit from the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (Please note that you must register within 6 months from the date your permit was issued)
  • Your original passport/ID card 
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord) 
  • Your original marriage certificate (if you are married). Please remember to bring your marriage certificate, even if your partner is not accompanying you. If applicable: divorce certificate/death certificate (widow(er))
  • Original birth certificate(s) (for accompanying children under 18 years) 

Please note: Only marriage and birth certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted. Translation of the marriage certificate must be done in a satisfactory manner. Marriage and birth certificates from some countries need to be apostille certified or legalized.

If you work in Denmark, but don't have a permanent address in Denmark, you must apply for a personal tax number issued by the Danish Tax Agency (Danish: Skattestyrelsen) instead of an CPR number. The personal tax number is similar to the CPR number. Go to - English.


Change address

If you move, your address must be updated within 5 days. Change your address at by logging in with your MitID. If you don’t have a MitID visit your local Borgerservice.  

Insurance – Work and private

Most insurances are voluntary in Denmark but few types are mandatory by law:

Work related insurance
In Denmark, the employers are obligated to take out occupational injury insurance. You are covered by your employer's insurance in connection with your job. Employer's insurance does not cover your leisure time.

Unemployment insurance is, unlike in many other countries, voluntary in Denmark. You can choose to register with an unemployment insurance fund (Danish: A-kasse).

The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment presents a list of unemployment funds - list of unemployment funds (It is in Danish) - English offers a guide to unemployment insurance in Denmark.

Private insurances
In Denmark, three insurances are mandatory by law:

  • Liability insurance if you own a motor vehicle
  • A dog insurance if you have a dog
  • Insurance against fire if you own real estate

All other private insurances are voluntary. For instance basic family insurance ("familiens basisforsikring" or "indboforsikring") that in most cases consists of:

  • Contents insurance covering personal property in the event of theft, fire, or water damage
  • Personal liability insurance
  • Legal protection, covering lawyer expenses for certain legal matters

In addition, it can be reassuring to have a private accident insurance. In Denmark, social security is covered by the Danish state, but as a supplement there are private health insurances. Read more at - Healthcare.  

The insurance premium can vary from one insurance company to another. Generally, insurance papers in Denmark are only available in Danish.


Learn Danish – The Language Center on Bornholm

Whether you are working, studying or looking for a job in Denmark, speaking Danish will give you an advantage in your career and help you get settled in Denmark.

The Danish courses/Danish Education takes place at the Language Center at Campus Bornholm in Rønne.

The Language Center offers flexible and professional Danish courses for foreigners. You can take classes in the daytime, evening and during the holidays.

If your Danish language skills correspond to the first level, the Danish Education will last 3,5 years.

It is the Municipality of Bornholm who will refer you to the Danish courses. 


Price - Fee and deposit

The Municipality of Bornholm will send you a letter containing an offer to the Danish Education: If you attend Danish courses within the first five years of your residence in Denmark, you get a discount price of the full tuition fee.

The offer is as follows: A Danish Education consists of a number of modules. For each module there is a tuition fee of 2.000 kr. to be paid by the student. The fee has to be paid prior to starting up on a new module. Furthermore, you will have to pay a deposit of 1.250 kr. prior to starting. The 1.250 kr. is to be paid to the Language Center, where you will be provided with more information regarding reimbursement of the security deposit.

Note, that for refugees, au pairs and family reunited with a Danish citizen all courses are free of charge.

After five years in Denmark, the offer expires, and you must provide for the whole expense. We therefore encourage you to begin the Danish courses as soon as possible and contact us, if you for some good reason are prevented and wish to extend the offer.

To accept the offer, contact Secretary Diana Holm, phone 5692 3830, e-mail Diana will refer you to the Language Center, if you make use of the offer within five years. After five years in Denmark, you must contact the Language Center directly: Language Center, Rønne - English.

If you already possess an elementary level of Danish speaking and comprehension proficiency, you can supplement your Danish Education for free in Preparatory Education for Adults (FVU).


Foreign qualifications?

If you possess a diploma, degree or certificate from your home country, you can apply for an assessment.

An assessment is a brief statement saying what your foreign qualification corresponds to in Denmark: Which educational level and, if possible, which field of education.

You can have your diploma, degree or certificate assessed and recognized in various ways. The assessment will clarify your opportunities and increase your chances:

  • On the labor market
  • In the educational system
  • On becoming a member of an unemployment fund

The assessment is free of charge but does not include translation of documents.

It is the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education that provides assessments of foreign qualifications. Go to the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education - Foreign qualifications.


Foreign driving license?

You will in some cases need to exchange your foreign driving license for a Danish driving license.  

Read more about foreign driving licenses at - Foreign driving license.

If you need to exchange your driving license, go to Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.


Bringing your own car?

SKAT (the Danish tax authorities) administers this area. Read more about it at - Foreign vehicles.


When leaving Denmark

If you move from Denmark to your home country or to another country, you must report the relocation to the Civil Registration System (CPR). This can be done online on (requires MitId) or by filling in a leaving form at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

You must also hand over your health insurance card.

If you move abroad for less than six months, you can retain your registered address unless you rent out or lend your house or flat.

Further, you should consider notifying SKAT, your bank and insurance company, deregister your children from daycare and schools and so on. Go here to learn more on what to remember if you leave Denmark: – Leaving Denmark.


Don't have access to a computer?

The public libraries have computers available for you to use:

You don't have to be a member of the libraries to use the computers, but if the library is closed, you will be able to let your self in if you are registered as a member. To register, show up in person during the libraries opening hours.