Billede af europæiske flag
Del på facebook

Checklist for EU citizens


As a citizen of an EU/EEA country and Switzerland, you have an independent right to take up employment in other EU countries. You are therefore permitted to work as soon as you enter Denmark – even before you have applied for and received your EU residence document (registration certificate). 

You may stay in Denmark for up to three months without a residence document. If you are looking for work, you may stay in Denmark for up to six months without a residence document. The three- and six-month periods are calculated from the date on which you enter Denmark. 

An EU residence document is your documentation that as an EU citizen – or a relative of an EU citizen – you have the right to live in Denmark. If you change your basis for residence during your stay in Denmark – e.g. from being a student to becoming an employee – you must apply for a new residence document. If you are an employee and change employers, this will not usually constitute a change to your basis for residence. The residence document is not linked to a particular employer and is only conditional on your continuing to be an employee as defined by EU law. After five years' continuous legal residence in Denmark, you will be able to apply for permanent residence. 

For more information on the legislation, please contact New to Denmark

Apply for a CPR number – Personal registration number

The EU residence document enables you to apply for a civil registration number (Danish: CPR-nummer). Applying for your Danish CPR number (Civil Registration number) takes place at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.  

In order to be registered, you must show up in person and bring the following documents:

  • Your EU residence document (registration certificate)
  • Your original passport/ID card 
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord) 
  • Your original marriage certificate (if you are married). Please remember to bring your marriage certificate, even if your partner is not accompanying you. If applicable: divorce certificate/death certificate (widow(er))
  • Original birth certificate(s) (for accompanying children under 18 years) 

Please note: Only marriage and birth certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted. Translation of the marriage certificate must be done in a satisfactory manner. Marriage and birth certificates from some countries need to be apostille certified or legalized.

If you work in Denmark, but don't have a permanent address in Denmark, you must apply for a personal tax number issued by the Danish Tax Agency (Danish: Skattestyrelsen) instead of an CPR number. The personal tax number is similar to the CPR number. Go to - English.  


Health insurance card – The yellow card

When you register in the Civil Registration System (CPR number) at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice), you must choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will then - by post - receive your health insurance card (The yellow card) with your CPR-number and your doctor's name and address. The health insurance card gives you the right to healthcare services on the same terms as other citizens in Denmark.  

Your children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with you until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents.

You can find out more about the national health insurance at – Healthcare

If you need medical assistance before you receive a Danish health insurance card, you should use the blue European health card from your home country.


Tax card

If you have any income, while staying in Denmark, you need to apply for a tax card (and a personal tax number if you work for three months or less) from the Danish Custom and Tax Administration (Danish: Skatteforvaltningen). Your employer must have access to the information from your tax card. Exactly how much you will pay in tax of your income depends on your earnings and the tax deductions and allowances you are entitled to. If you do not apply for a tax card, your employer will deduct 55% tax from your salary.  

To apply for a tax card and a personal tax number, go to: - English.


MitId and Digital Post

MitId is your personal secure login for digital contact with public authorities, netbanking and a wide range of online self service solutions. With MitId you log on via your CPR-number, a personal password, and a code card with printed codes. Your MitId is issued by: Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

In order to obtain MitId, you must bring with you at Citizen Service:

  • An attesting witness who has had MitID for at least 10 days. The witness must bring their MitID, show valid ID (passport/national ID card/Danish driving licence as well as their yellow card).
  • Valid ID, e.g. your passport or your residence permit issued in Denmark
  • Your yellow health insurance card

If you are not able to bring an attesting witness, your MitId will not be set up for you at Citizen Service.

Your MitID can be installed as an app on your phone or you can have a code display: a small electronic device that displays a one-time password code.

To learn more about MitId, go to:


For cross-border worker

If you are a cross-border worker with residence in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you need to pay special attention to specific aspects of your residency in Denmark (work permit, tax registration, health insurance card, bank account, driving license and vehicle registration etc.).  

Get more information at:


When leaving Denmark

If you move from Denmark to your home country or to another country, you must report the relocation to the Civil Registration System (CPR). This can be done online on (requires MitId) or by filling in a leaving form at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours

You must also hand over your health insurance card.

If you move abroad for less than six months, you can retain your registered address unless you rent out or lend your house or flat. 

Further, you should consider notifying SKAT, your bank and insurance company, deregister your children from daycare and schools and so on. Go here to learn more on what to remember if you leave Denmark: – Leaving Denmark.