Billede af globus
Del på facebook
Skip Navigation LinksBRK Welcome to Bornholm Newcomer Service Getting started on Bornholm Checklist for non-EU/Nordic citizen (3rd world citizens)

Checklist for non-EU/Nordic citizen (3rd world citizens)


As a citizen of 3rd countries (i.e. countries outside the Nordic countries, the EU/EEA and Switzerland) you must apply for a residence and work permit with the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (Danish: Styrelsen for International Rekruttering og Integration (SIRI)) before you enter Denmark to work or seek work.

Read more about residence and work permits at

Family members of a person who has a residence and work permit in Denmark can in most cases obtain a residence permit. Accompanying family members of a foreign worker must not apply for a work permit, since the residence permit entitles them to work or study during their stay in Denmark.

After arrival in Denmark, you must register your address and apply for a personal registration number (Danish: CPR-nummer) and a tax card.

Apply for a CPR number - Personal registration number

Applying for your Danish CPR number (English: Civil Registration number) takes place at: Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

In order to be registered, you must show up in person and bring the following documents:

  • Your work- and residence permit from the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (Please note that you must register within 6 months from the date your permit was issued)
  • Your original passport/ID card
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord) 
  • Your original marriage certificate (if you are married). Please remember to bring your marriage certificate, even if your partner is not accompanying you. If applicable: divorce certificate/death certificate (widow(er))
  • Original birth certificate(s) (for accompanying children under 18 years) 

Please note: Only marriage and birth certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted. Translation of the marriage certificate must be done in a satisfactory manner. Marriage and birth certificates from some countries need to be apostille certified or legalized.

If you work in Denmark, but don't have a permanent address in Denmark, you must apply for a personal tax number issued by the Danish Tax Agency (Danish: Skattestyrelsen) instead of an CPR number. The personal tax number is similar to the CPR number. Go to - English


Health insurance card – The yellow card

When you register in the Civil Registration System (CPR number) at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice), you must choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will then - by post - receive your health insurance card (The yellow card) with your CPR-number and your doctor's name and address. The health insurance card gives you the right to healthcare services on the same terms as other citizens in Denmark.

Your children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with you until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents.

You can find out more about the national health insurance at – Healthcare.


Tax card

If you have any income, while staying in Denmark, you need to apply for a tax card (and a personal tax number if you work for three months or less) from the Danish Custom and Tax Administration (Danish: Skatteforvaltningen). Your employer must have access to the information from your tax card. Exactly how much you will pay in tax of your income depends on your earnings and the tax deductions and allowances you are entitled to. If you do not apply for a tax card, your employer will deduct 55% tax from your salary.

To apply for a tax card and a personal tax number, go to: - English.

MitId and Digital Post

MitId is your personal secure login for digital contact with public authorities, netbanking and a wide range of online self service solutions. With MitId you log on via your CPR-number, a personal password, and a code card with printed codes. Your MitId is issued by: Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

In order to obtain MitId, you must bring with you at Citizen Service:

  • An attesting witness who has had MitID for at least 10 days. The witness must bring their MitID, show valid ID (passport/national ID card/Danish driving licence as well as their yellow card).
  • Valid ID, e.g. your passport or your residence permit issued in Denmark
  • Your yellow health insurance card 

If you are not able to bring an attesting witness, your MitId will not be set up for you at Citizen Service.  

Your MitID can be installed as an app on your phone or you can have a code display: a small electronic device that displays a one-time password code.

To learn more about MitId, go to:


When leaving Denmark

If you move from Denmark to your home country or to another country, you must report the relocation to the Civil Registration System (CPR). This can be done online on (requires MitId) or by filling in a leaving form at Citizen Service (Danish: Borgerservice) - Addresses and opening hours.

You must also hand over your health insurance card.

If you move abroad for less than six months, you can retain your registered address unless you rent out or lend your house or flat.

Further, you should consider notifying SKAT, your bank and insurance company, deregister your children from daycare and schools and so on. Go here to learn more on what to remember if you leave Denmark: – Leaving Denmark.